State Tax Credits
K.S.A. 40-2246 allows an income tax credit for some small employers that make qualifying contributions to a small employer health benefit plan or health savings account of an eligible employee. Small employers (defined in K.S.A. 40-2209d) have from 2 and 50 employees. From tax year 2013 on, these credits are only available to corporations subject to the Kansas corporate income tax (C corporations).
- Obtain Kansas Department of Revenue schedule K-57.
- Small businesses may optionally register here and print a copy of their registration. (Note to take the credit, small businesses must file schedule K-57.)
Federal Tax Credits
There are also federal tax credits available through the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act passed in 2010. See the Internal Revenue Service website for more information.
Go to HealthCare.gov for other information regarding ACA and small businesses.
We've designed business insurance information to help you, the small business owner:
- Insurance Information for the Small Business Owner (pdf)
- Small Group Health Carriers (pdf)
- State tax Credits for Health Insurance (pdf)
You may also request that a Small Business Insurance Packet of the above information be mailed to you by filling out the form on our Publications Request page.
For information on the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, see HealthCare.gov.
The Kansas Insurance Department is here to help with your insurance needs. We can also assist if you have a claims problem. Contact the Consumer Assistance Division (800-432-2484) or e-mail email@example.com.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) presents Insure U for Small Business to provide helpful information, tips and considerations about insurance for owners of small companies and home-based businesses.
- Dept. of Labor
Workers Compensation, Labor Management Relations & Employment Standards, Unemployment Insurance
- Attorney General
785-296-2215 or 1-800-432-2310
- Banking Commissioner
785-296-2266 or 1-877-387-8523
- Corporation Commission
785-296-2618 or 1-800-662-0027
- First Stop Clearinghouse/Kansas Center for Entrepreneurship (dba NetWork Kansas)
- Kansas Department of Revenue
785-296-1706 or 1-800-259-2829
- Kansas Secretary of State
- Kansas Small Business Development Center
- U. S. Small Business Administration
- U. S. Social Security Office
The above are links to other web sites that are not maintained by the Kansas Insurance Department. A link to another web site does not represent an endorsement of that site by the Department.